A historic Maori carved patu, with uncommon notch cut to blade. Embossed Waitangi 1840 to handle. L.385mm. Framed with note of provenance: "This mere is made from Australian Red Gum brought to Waitangi in May 1853 for Mr James Busby who was appointed by the British Government Resident in New Zealand.... The Mere is a part of the Original House." written in ink on paper embossed with the Waitangi Trust seal. With vintage photo of a painting of the signing of the Treaty and 2008 valuation attached to reverse.