With a network of specialists covering all fields of militaria we are able to maximise potential return on medals, badges, bladed weapons, firearms and associated collectables from all wars, periods and nations with a particular interest in historical diaries, photographs, paintings and ephemera.
A pair of Irish flintlock coach pistols
early 18th century, the locks each marked 'Byrne fecit', walnut stocks with brass furniture including butts terminating in moulded mask bosses. Overall L.375mm. c.1700-1750. No licence required. The same engraving “Byrne Fecit” appears faintly on both pistols on the top straps of the barrels. Other markings are one the top strap behind the barrel – one above the fixing screw ‘32’ and one below the fixing screw ‘33’, both punched not engraved and of a later sans serif font. “No. 33” has a rejoined crack at the grip, filled borer holes, replacement ramrod, the front rod collar has a small split to the front edge and slight loss to the front edge, forward of the front rod collar hidden by the rod is an area with some wood filler. Apart from overall small handling knocks there’s a dent right forestock above the rear rod collar. “No 32” has a replaced ramrod, forward of the front rod collar hidden by the rod is a loose crack to the woodwork. Apart from overall small handling knocks there’s a small sliver of wood inlaid to a 2cm crack between the brass butt and the trigger back strap (paler colour), and a tight crack forward of the frizzen spring and diagonally up to the barrel.
A rare WWI Martinsyde Aviation (1908-1922) two-bladed airplane propeller
as used by the G102 Elephant. Laminated mahogany pegged construction, each central section with four bolt holes. Original shield form label attached, War Department stamped arrow and WD together with 'BEARDMORE MARTINSYDE'. Note: The Martinsyde G.100 ‘Elephant’ and the G.102 were British fighter bomber aircraft of the First World War built by Martinsyde. The type gained the name ‘Elephant’ from its relatively large size and lack of manoeuvrability. The G.100 was gradually succeeded by the more powerful G.102 with a 160 hp Beardmore engine. Family provenance: This propeller comes from the family of Godfrey Gleeson Johnstone who was flying with the Royal Flying Corps when he was killed in action flying a Bristol Fighter on 30/1/18, a photo of G. G. Johnstone being sold with this lot, together with a silver medal farming certificate awarded to R. Johnstone of Motuotaria New Zealand, presumably this is Robert, Godfrey's father, as noted in the document attached.
A c.1750 European flintlock blunderbuss
the quality full rosewood body with a steel barrel of initial octagonal form flaring to round, steel lock and ramrod, brass trigger guard and ramrod fittings. L.640mm (overall). No licence required.
A George III presentation sword
the blade decoratively engraved with presentation inscription dated 12 June 1810, Royal crown and cypher 'GR' also to the blade, the highly ornate brass hilt in the form of a snake issuing from a lion's mouth with grip, the leather and brass scabbard with decoration of armour, weapons and snakes. L.940mm
A rare WWI Military Cross and service medal
awarded to 10/11/54 2nd Lt. Athol Richard McIsaac 1a Coy. 1st Bn. Wgtn. Reg., together with original typed document dated 23 Sep. '18. The award was 'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He worked with most untiring energy and determination for three days when in charge of a carrying party whose duty it was to keep his Bn. supplied with material from the Brigade dump. It was necessary to make each trip under very heavy shell-fire & it was due to his fine personal example that this supply was maintained'. Granted 15-8-17. McIsaac served October 1914 to January 1919 in Egypt, Gallipoli and Western Europe. In 1916 he was Court Martialled for drunkenness.
A rare WWII L.R.D.G. (Long Range Desert Group) 9ct.gold and silver Sweetheart brooch
Egyptian made, the pierced central panel with scorpion above the letters 'L.R.D.G.' and framed by an encircling ring of 20 small diamonds. 3.96gm. L.152mm. Stamped '9ct' and Egyptian 'hallmarks'. Note: The exploits of the L.R.D.G. are well-known, being originally formed by David Stirling and employing the services of many British, Rhodesian and New Zealanders who fought against Rommel’s Afrika Korps in North Africa, conducting a campaign of harassment against German forces, often operating behind enemy lines.
A pair of late 1700s pocket flintlock pistols by J.N. Jones & Son of London
round screw-off barrels, English proof marks, engraved locks and butt plates, trigger safety slides, finely checkered stocks, hidden triggers, diamond form silver escutcheon and with good hammer springs. L.140mm.
An early 20thC Scottish dirk by R. G. Lawrie/ Glasgow
marked for the 2/7th Bn 1914-1918 (Scottish Coast Defences Brigade), the 28cm single edge steel blade with narrow fuller and scalloped back edge, the baluster grip carved with basket weave set with white metal studs, the pommel with a thistle, the black leather scabbard with silver plate mounts embossed with thistles, set with a small knife and fork of conforming design. Total L.480mm.
A c.1830s Irish round barrelled percussion pistol by Dowling of Dublin
of walnut with checkered stock, scroll engraved lock, trigger guard and hammer, silver escutcheon and butt plate, captive ramrod, good hammer spring. L.180mm.
An 18thC flintlock pistol
walnut stock, brass octagonal to round barrel engraved 'D. Egg, London' and with two proof marks. brass trigger guard with acorn finial, brass side plate with trophy engraving, brass escutcheon on grip engraved with crown over 'No.4'. Steel lock and ramrod. Some old repairs and losses. L.370mm. (No license required)