Our renowned monthly, market leading auctions include a wide range of periods and styles from antiquities and antiques through to mid-century design.European, English and NZ colonial furnishings accompany the broadest range of collectables, silver, ceramics and decorator’s items curated and catalogued by the leading team of experts in the country. Under this section we offer miscellanea, cameras, glass, Modern Movement, boxes, walking sticks, cameras, costume, ephemera, studio pottery and all manner of items.
A massive classical bronze figured fountain H.2460mm
the two maidens flanking the lion mask fountain head above a cherub. The wide scallop shell bowl supported on a tripod pedestal base. W.1290mm. A one piece fountain no longer in situ.
A lock of hair cut off the Emperor Napoleon's head after his death at St. Helena
kept within an original folded 19thC note. The note inscribed in manuscript: 'aged 52. Lock of hair cut off the Emperor Napoleon's head after his death at St. Helena & given to Mrs. Grimstone by Mons. Novarre (sic) - June 20th, 1823.' Provenance: The Estate Collection of Derek Blackler, a noted Christchurch antique dealer, was reported in a 2017 NZ House & Garden article '…his favourite item at the moment is a lock of Napoleon's hair'. Purchased from the estate auction of the contents of Blackler’s shop, Portobello Antiques. Blackler had recorded information regarding the lock on his blogspot [http://portobelloantiques.blogspot.com/2010/01/lock-of-hair-from-head-of-napoleon-with.html] The Monsieur Novarre referred to is Jean-Abram Noverraz (1790-1849) a Swiss born footman in the service of the Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in 1809, later valet, cabinet courier and his confident. He accompanied the Emperor on his exile to the island of St-Helena and was present at his death. Noverraz is known to have shaved Napoleons head after his death prior to a cast of his head being taken to produce his death mask. Noverraz was reportedly in possession of some of Napoleons hair as late as 1838, an authenticated lock of Napoleon’s hair (the “Noverraz” lock) was used in a 2000 forensic examination to determine whether Napoleon had been poisoned prior to his death- http://www.napoleonicsociety.com/english/dossierdepresseangl.htm
A pair lge bronze classical garden urns
H.900mm. Lion mask captured ring handles and acanthus leaf banded bodies.
A pair of large and impressive 19thC/20thC Continental urns
hand painted with neo-classical romantic country scenes in the Angelica Kauffman style, the base, column, top and lid decorated with wild flowers on a cream ground with maroon, blue and gilt embellishment, all set within a highly ornate ormolu frame, pineapple knop to lid. 800 x 1750mm.
A classical tall roman carved marble standing woman
H.1960mm, with drape and wreath upon elaborate base with animal heads + bows + acanthus leaves & scrolls
A very large and heavy carved stone Chinese dragon decorated pot
W.2550mm. The five dragons chasing the mystic pearl above and around the planter pot. Some damage to one dragon’s whisker. H.1350mm. All carved from the one block. Located to the right of the garages.
Two rare early 20thC Carlo Bugatti (1856-1940) Orientalist salon chairs
displaying Moorish influences, ebonised walnut frames with incised Eastern designs. The original (goat skin) parchment upholstery hand painted with gestural restrained floral designs and eastern calligraphic script framed by hand embossed geometric star form copper plaques. W.370mm x D. 510mm x H.1110mm. Note: Carlo Bugatti is world renowned as an Italian decorator, designer and manufacturer of Art Nouveau furniture. A specialist in interior decoration, Carlo studied firstly at the Brera Academy in Milan, and subsequently, from 1875, at the Académie des Beaux Arts in Paris. In 1880 he started to manufacture furniture in Milan, later transferring to France. From 1888 he began to be successful beyond Italy.
A large carved marble group 'the Three Graces'
H.1830mm. The women in graceful embrace on rectangular platform base. 3/4 life size major sculpture.
A pair of massive Victorian Italianate cast iron architectural finials
these finials were two of twelve that surmounted one of the Auckland Gasworks Company gasometers (coal gas holding tanks) constructed in the late 19thC at the bottom of Franklin Road, Freemans Bay and subsequently demolished in the 1970s. Dia.800mm, H.2300mm. See https://tinyurl.com/IPENZ-Auck-EngineeringHeritage
A good Italian 19thC marble bust by Cavaliere Giosue Argenti (1819-1901) of La Modestia
signed beneath the back edge 'Cav. Giouse Argentie' (sic) and dated 1867. Raised on socle plinth. H.660mm