An impressive platinum tanzanite and diamond halo necklace
thirty-seven oval cut violet blue tanzanites claw set and surrounded by round brilliant cut diamonds, TTW 129.17ct, TDW 14.85ct. Gemologist report available.
An impressive 18ct. white gold yellow and white diamond ring
the central 4.00ct. 'fancy light yellow natural diamond' of 'heart modified brilliant' cut and clarity VS2 surrounded by a halo of 25 round brilliant cut diamonds totalling 0.18ct, all flanked by two large pear cut diamonds totalling 1.02ct. TDW 5.20ct. Valuation available, GIA Certificate available for the 4.00ct. fancy light yellow cut diamond.
Peter McIntyre (1910-1995)
'New Zealand Infantry' c.1940-1943, graphite on paper, signed, inscribed bottom left corner: 'To face No.18'. 640 x 520mm. Provenance: Gifted to a friend of the artist, a military collector. Note: McIntyre was New Zealand’s first official war artist and one of four official war artists for the NZ division in WWII, he completed many portraits of NZ heroes, military strategies and a noted series on the life of a New Zealand soldier, both in the front lines and in the rear areas, of which this work is from. Illustrated 'Peter McIntyre War Artist' by Peter McIntyre, 1981. Note: Another watercolour version of this work showing two soldiers of the New Zealand Infantry in Egypt is held in the Archives New Zealand collection, 'Item ID R22505113' and illustrated 'The Art of War' by Jennifer Haworth 2007 pg. 34. Note: The extract associated with this image in the book 'Peter McIntyre War Artist' by Peter McIntyre, 1981 states: 'General Montgomery made his usual attack in the middle with the British 50th Division, and once again the New Zealanders made a left hook. This time the battle did not go so well. The 50th crossed the Wadi Zigzaou with great difficulty and were caught in the open on the side because of it's depth. They were without the support of tanks or even anti-tank guns, and in some confusion they were withdrawn. This left the New Zealand Division exposed on the left flank where they had driven for El Hamma - behind the enemy lines. Rommel promptly concentrated his main forces on them, The situation was indeed bad but this was where Montgomery showed his true genius. He opened up a new front, between the New Zealanders and the coastal sector, then threw in all the tanks and aircraft that he had in support of the New Zealanders. It was an awful risk to take, to concentrate his whole armour at one point: but it worked. The Germans began to give in the centre and then the New Zealanders went into the attack. Before long it was all over and Rommel was once more in retreat, leaving behind as usual, thousands of Italian infantry to become prisoners.Without Montgomery's quickness of thought and action the battle might bogged down for weeks.'
A pair of massive Victorian Italianate cast iron architectural finials
these finials were two of twelve that surmounted one of the Auckland Gasworks Company gasometers (coal gas holding tanks) constructed in the late 19thC at the bottom of Franklin Road, Freemans Bay and subsequently demolished in the 1970s. Dia.800mm, H.2300mm. See https://tinyurl.com/IPENZ-Auck-EngineeringHeritage
A pair of 18ct gold and diamond stud earrings
each earring set with a 1.53ct round brilliant cut diamond, posts for pierced ears, TDW 3.06ct. Gemologist report available.
Impressive large dark green 48kg pounamu boulder
river worn with full polished top, pale flecked inclusions. 580 x 300 x 200mm.
A rare mid 18thC William Adcock of London ebonised grand-sonnerie striking bracket clock
the inverted bell top ebonised case with four ormolu cone finials and overhead handle, applied ormolu mouldings to the door enclosing the arched gilded and decoratively cast signed dial, silvered chapter ring with Roman numerals, subsidiary strike / non-strike dial and date aperture, the quality movement striking on seven bells with rare and complicated grand-sonnerie strike. H.530mm.
A German gilt-metal and enamelled singing-bird box attributed to Karl Griesbaum
the bird with multi-coloured plumage, beak, wings, tail and body movements concealed in a decoratively enamelled case painted with figures and landscape vignettes framed by engraved borders. With bird shaped key, the case base stamped 'EB' for Emil Brenk and 'Metall'. 103 x 67 x 52mm.
An exquisite Cartier miniature desk clock
the rectangular case with lineal machine engraved silver-gilt panels bounded by bright-white enamel stringing, raised on a smoky grey agate plinth with splay feet; the circular dial with enamel dot-dash border framing a matt silver face with guilloche centre, Arabic numerals, old mine cut diamonds set to the hands. French assay and maker's mark to the back panel. H.47mm. In black velvet case. c.1910
An outstanding 18thC two colour gold and hardstone panelled snuff box
of rounded oblong shape with slightly concave walls; the hinged lid with a conforming shaped inset panel of agate revealing attractive translucency and diverse colour when opened; the panel set in a bright yellow gold chased and engraved acorn and oak leaf pattern border; the rose gold walls machine engraved with a guilloché pattern; another conforming agate panel to the base. 62 x 46 x 21mm
A quality Burmese golden pearl necklace
a single strand of forty-one 10mm cultured Golden Burma South Sea pearls, the 9ct red gold Art Deco style clasp set with twenty-nine round brilliant cut diamonds, TDW 1.10ct. Together with a pair of matching pearl stud earrings. Valuation available. Note: Burma/Myanmar’s golden pearls from the Andaman sea come with a unique pinkish, apricot hue, an exceptional thicker layer of nacre (see photo attached), around 70% thicker than average cultured pearls and of large size, they are widely perceived as the best in the world.
A French 0.750 (18ct) yellow gold box
of rectangular shape with radius corners and edges, the body and hinged lid of woven integral mesh with riven surface, the end walls plain; assay and maker's mark to the lid tongue. 91 x 32 x 16mm. 70gm.
A pair of 14ct white gold and diamond stud earrings
each earring set with a 0.70ct princess cut diamond and surrounded by a double halo of small round brilliant cut diamonds, posts for pierced ears, TDW 2.13ct. Gemologist report attached.
A spectacular 18ct gold and enamel embellished .800 silver box
the hinged lid with silver ribbon in a parterre pattern enhanced by parcel-gilt acanthus leaves and backed by bright blue and red enamel panels, framed by an applied .750 gold classical border and with red paste cabochons to the corners. The walls with parcel-gilt silver shell and scroll pattern with red cabochons backed by blue enamel. Opening on a seven part hinge to reveal a gilt-washed mirror-finish lid and interior lined with ivory veneer. 140 x 101 x 35mm
A rare Charles I silver paten
plain circular form to a plain spreading circular foot, as used to hold Eucharistic bread in religious ceremony. London 1639 by WT under two small circles, noted in Jackson's 'English Goldsmiths and Their Marks' 1964, Pg. 121, as 'Communion plate: St Newnden'. 173gm. Dia.145mm.
A set of Lusty's Lloyd Loom conservatory furniture
two chairs, a small low table and a footstool, with original labels.
A rare WWI Martinsyde Aviation (1908-1922) two-bladed airplane propeller
as used by the G102 Elephant. Laminated mahogany pegged construction, each central section with four bolt holes. Original shield form label attached, War Department stamped arrow and WD together with 'BEARDMORE MARTINSYDE'. Note: The Martinsyde G.100 ‘Elephant’ and the G.102 were British fighter bomber aircraft of the First World War built by Martinsyde. The type gained the name ‘Elephant’ from its relatively large size and lack of manoeuvrability. The G.100 was gradually succeeded by the more powerful G.102 with a 160 hp Beardmore engine. Family provenance: This propeller comes from the family of Godfrey Gleeson Johnstone who was flying with the Royal Flying Corps when he was killed in action flying a Bristol Fighter on 30/1/18, a photo of G. G. Johnstone being sold with this lot, together with a silver medal farming certificate awarded to R. Johnstone of Motuotaria New Zealand, presumably this is Robert, Godfrey's father, as noted in the document attached.
A rare early George III plain silver tankard
the tapered body with single rib, spreading foot, the domed lid showing mild original planished finish and with scrolling thumb-piece, the S-scroll handle terminating with a heart form panel. Newcastle 1760-8 by John Langlands I, a noted tankard maker. 789gm. H.185mm.
An Edwardian tiered multi-ring jeweller's shop display cabinet
half-round form with bow glazed front and flat top, the swivelling door supporting the six concentric half-round black velvet tiers with notch details to hold the rings. 395 x 210 x 175mm.
Alan Taylor (1933-2016)
Untitled landscape, oil on board, signed. 240 x 285mm